Corporate Social Responsibility
Sustainability at BNP Paribas Real Estate
BNP Paribas Real Estate offers real estate consulting for a changing world. As a company, we are well aware that business and sustainability go hand in hand. We therefore want to take responsibility for this combination and make a positive impact with regard to society and the environment. Our efforts in this area are based on the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations and the four pillars of sustainability.
Committed to sustainable business practice, long-term partnerships and lasting client relations
Conserving resources and protecting the environment
Supporting and promoting talent and diversity in an innovative working environment
Strengthening equal opportunities with donations and committed employees
As a company, we have a responsibility that we take very seriously – a responsibility towards our clients, society, the environment and, last but not least, our employees. Only by fulfilling this responsibility can we help to actively shape a changing world and achieve sustained success.
A reliable partner
Our economic cornerstone focuses on stable growth and sustainable business practice, which, together with our lasting relationships with our clients, represent important priorities for our company. We achieve these priorities by fostering transparent business ethics, innovative services and a constant exchange of expertise, experiences and ideas with our partners.
- Compliance and our Code of Conduct form a solid foundation for our corporate property and our value-oriented approach to every aspect of our work. Our staff receive information and attend training sessions in this area on a regular basis.
- Our suppliers are required to sign our Sustainable Procurement Charta, which is a prerequisite for all of our procurement activities.
- Our Sector Policies were defined to ensure that we take due consideration of sensitive sectors. They are based on the ESG (environment, social and corporate governance) standards.
Services and expertise
- Our comprehensive spectrum of services covers all phases of the property cycle, including green building solutions. We incorporate sustainability into properties in a cost-effective manner to optimise yield and performance.
- Our Property Management division offers its clients sustainable products such as green electricity. This approach not only helps to save costs but also reduces emissions that are harmful to the environment.
- Our report on the “Investment Market for Green Buildings” offers interesting insights into the distribution and market of certified green buildings.
Networks and partnerships
- Our networks and partnerships enable us to exchange expertise with like-minded institutions and organisations. They also give us the opportunity to help shape the development of sustainable towns and cities that are fit for the future.
There is a growing demand for sustainable solutions in the real estate industry. By considering our clients’ future requirements, we are able to offer them innovative, sustainable properties and corresponding services.
An environmentally trailblazer
We consider protecting our planet to be an essential requirement, which is why we make ongoing efforts to reduce our environmental impact. In doing so, we not only protect the climate and resources but also improve our own efficiency.
- Our Eco-friendly Guide provides our staff with guidelines on how they can tailor their working approach to conserve resources and protect the environment.
- To his end, we have implemented a policy of minimising single-use plastics and promoting and supporting sustainable mobility throughout the Group.
- On our mission to reduce emissions in properties, we decided to start at home: We use 100% green electricity at all of our 11 locations in Germany.
- We also source sustainable paper from a responsible supplier.
- To promote and support the use of public transport, we cover the costs for staff who choose to use this transport method, thus reducing their ecological footprint on their day-to-day journeys to and from their workplace.
- We provide our staff with information and ideas regarding sustainability and environmentally conscious conduct throughout the European Sustainable Development Week.
- We are also involved in the Cycle to Work (Mit dem Rad zur Arbeit) initiative with BNP Paribas Germany, which not only serves to protect the climate but also has a positive impact on our health.
Best-practice example: bees at our Hamburg office
To actively support biodiversity in an urban setting, we have installed a beehive on the roof of our office in Hamburg. The death of bees has now become such an acute problem on a global scale, so important that it is even being discussed in political circles. We are delighted to help combat this problem by welcoming our new, productive ‘roommates’ and take this responsibility very seriously. After all, these busy bees pollinate countless plant species day after day and therefore play an essential role in our food supply. Believe it or not, this actually makes them the most important ‘working’ animal we have at our disposal.
An outstanding employer
We foster talent and promote the careers of our employees. By focusing on ensuring and safeguarding equality, health, respect and diversity, we aim to guarantee the best opportunities and satisfaction for every individual.
Diversity and equal opportunities
- We are a strong advocate of greater diversity in the workplace across all companies in the BNP Paribas Group, which is why we are proud to be a signatory of the German Diversity Charter. This corporate initiative to promote diversity in companies and institutions supports and advances a variety of diversity management projects in Germany.
- Our international “Women in Leadership” programme champions women in management roles.
- Two further career networks that are close to our heart are MixCity, which focuses on the equality of women and men, and PRIDE, which promotes working environments in which the LGBTQ community feels valued. Our involvement in these two networks further fosters diversity within all of our teams.
- Last but not least comes our commitment to the initiative #jamaissanselles, which aims to boost the visibility of women at events.
- Work and family: Our employees can make use of our professional family service, which offers them anonymous support in all circumstances, for example when it comes to looking after children and family members in need of care or matters involving crisis counselling and preventive healthcare.
- Health and retirement provisions: We offer our employees the opportunity to benefit from a variety of additional services, from a company pension scheme to health initiatives and right through to health promotion events.
- We welcome participation and innovation, which is why our Ideas Box gives every employee the opportunity to submit their suggestions for improvement – and even be rewarded for doing so.
Our company is represented in many locations throughout Germany in line with our desire to make a positive, long-term contribution to shaping both society and the towns and cities in which people live. In line with our special focus on equal opportunities, our donations from the BNP Paribas Foundation and the corporate volunteering activities of our employees help to boost the courage and self-confidence of people from difficult backgrounds.
- Our employees work in various voluntary positions, for example by helping with DIY projects, reading stories or in roles such as jurors, mentors and even athletes. Our many offices in locations all over Germany enable us to get involved in a multitude of charity events, for example the J. P. Morgan Corporate Challenge or the B2RUN.
BNP Paribas Foundation
- Help2Help gives employees who work as volunteers the opportunity to apply for funding for the charitable institutions in which they are active.
- Every Christmas, we use the funds of the BNP Paribas Foundation to donate to social organisations. Several years ago, we also decided to make donations to regional charitable organisations instead of sending gifts to our customers.
For me, helping disadvantaged people is extremely important and very motivating. While most of us are privileged to enjoy financial success and excellent living and working circumstances, it is essential that we do not lose sight of our fellow citizens who are less fortunate and do not have as much support.